Check out our new website Active Earth Adventures
It was exactly what it said it was: a great bunch of people lead by an excellent guide into remote areas. Rob, UK
One of the best hiking experiences ever in my life so far. Truly inspiring. Jaana Koskela, Finland
I loved that we stayed well away from the hustle and bustle of busy tourist spots. Emily, Australia
I wasn’t sure what to expect having just arrived in New Zealand but it was the best decision I have made. Experience New Zealand the New Zealand way. Sandra, UK
Price includes kitty (food & accommodation).
Grade D - medium, 3 multi-day hikes
Extras optional - Sea kayaking (NZ$110), thermal parks (NZ$6-30)
Start - Atrium pick up zone 20 metres from Sky Tower base, corner Victoria & Federal Streets, Auckland @ 7:00am
Finish - Wellington 7:00pm (also return to Auckland option, see notes at bottom of page)
The Far North
Take the time to truly appreciate the North Island. Combine two trips for the ultimate walking holiday. Works best to take a Far North trip BEFORE the Volcanoes, but you can do it after without too much pain (especially if you do the return to Auckland option on Day 10).
Let the action-packed adventure continue to the South Island by taking a Secret South trip AFTERWARDS. You have only one day to make the connection, so you’ll have to fly to Queenstown or take 8 days backpacking overland and get the next trip.
Lower the volcanoes. Paul, UK
Be awed by the extent of wilderness that is hidden in the North Island. Hike through Jurassic-like rainforest and among active volcanoes, kayak an ancient crater lake, marvel at glowworms, and camp on an untamed beach. This trip visits an incredible number of hard-to-get-to and little-known places.
• Hiking the Jurassic-like rainforests & river gorges of Whirinaki and Urewera National Park
• Kayaking across Lake Tarawera's ancient caldera crater to a hot, bush-fringed stream
• Three days of trekking among Tongariro National Park’s active volcanoes
• Waitomo glowworm caves
• Remote camping and relaxing on Taranaki’s wild west coast beaches
• Climbing high on Mt Egmont/Taranaki for stunning views
Travel south from Auckland to Whirinaki Forest Park. Easy bushwalking through beech forest to a riverside hut. 3 hours hiking.
Trek through a beautiful gorge (learning river-crossing techniques) to remote hut. Watch for rare New Zealand birdlife. 6 hours hiking.
Hike over a pass into the lush Whirinaki rainforest. Camp at one of Rotorua’s many beautiful lakes. 6 hours hiking.
Kayak (optional extra) on ancient crater lake and soak in a natural hot stream in the bush at the lake edge. Camp. 5 hours kayaking.
Swim and relax at Lake Taupo. Visit thermal area (optional extra). Hike across alpine grasslands to hut/camp in volcanic Tongariro National Park. 1.5 hours hiking.
Walk to Oturere hut/camp through an extraordinary landscape of active volcanoes and turquoise lakes. 4 hours hiking.
Hike up to Emerald Lakes and across a plateau (1900m), perhaps climbing one of the volcanoes (unguided section). 6-8 hours hiking.
Drive to Waitomo and explore a secret river cave. Camp at a beach and prepare a hangi (Maori earth oven) feast. 1 hour caving.
Relax at beach and explore historic site of Maori pa (village), then hike into a cosy hut in Mt Egmont National Park. 1.5 hours hiking.
Climb high on Taranaki's Fanthams Peak for dawn views, then descend through forest. Drive to Wellington. 2-5 hours hiking.
• The trip price includes all accommodation.
• Unless specified in 'Additional costs' below the trip price includes all meals and sufficient snacks. We cater for the big appetites generated while doing activities such as hiking and kayaking. We don't supply alcohol or thrills such as icecreams or espressos so you could bring a little cash to spend on your fix.
• Heading north to Auckland after the trip? It's possible, but complicated, to arrive on the same night, but easier and cheaper the following day...see notes at bottom of Volcanoes & Rainforest dossier page. Advise your guide on Day 1 if this is required. Your guide can help you arrange this booking (cost not included).
• June to September – we may do different versions of hikes, in the same areas, due to snow and river conditions. There may be a ski/board option on Day 7 – ask us if you need more information.
• The prices for optional activities are listed in the trip summary box on the top right of the page and in the trip dossier. Optional activities include kayaking and thermal parks.
• Optional activities must be paid for during the tour.
Check out our outdoor tips!
Hanging around Auckland?
See our Auckland Guide
Copyright © 2007-2013 Active Earth New Zealand. All Rights Reserved. All images on this website are protected by copyright. Images may be reproduced for NON PROFITABLE purposes with APPROPRIATE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT to Active Earth New Zealand.